*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Friday, April 22, 2011

Remember When?

image courtesy of Theme Thursday
Remember when the TV said goodnight?
The anthem played then all was static white?
We had the volume turned down really low
'Twas past our bedtime; parents didn't know
We giggled with excitement and with fright.

Remember  when we wished with all our might
To find ice cream in the milk box shining bright?
But most weeks only eggs and milk you know
Remember when?

Remember when the days were pure delight?
Running to the field to fly our kite?
Your back was to the wind you hoped would blow
As the string spun through your fingers like a pro
And we soared up there with it taking flight
Remember when?


submitted for Theme Thursday, April 21, 2011

8 comments:

Dave King said...

And we had "Interludes" with potters' wheels an d things! Thanks for this post.

Olivia said...

Yes.. I do!
Very beautifully composed rondeau with facts put together of the time gone by!

It's good to really read others- such forgotten memories come back- it's almost like uniting with long lost close friends..!

Hugs xox

The Book of Shadows (The Dark Side) said...

Phew, that was like decades ago.. and know remembering when, it is just so good to have some old things back, putting the smile on the face.. :)

Christine said...

I remember all of that, especially the TV thing, I can remember thinking, boy I'm up late cuz the TV is making that static noise now. I don't think our children will have such sweet rememberings of this kind of innocence. Sad.

Bubba said...

I remember drifting off to sleep to the National Anthem, after trying to stay awake so long, then the static hiss would wake me up.

(Damn, I'm old! LOL!)

Maude Lynn said...

Ah, I remember!

I'm old, too, Eric!

The Poet said...

Aah yes...those were the days!

Unknown said...

Awesome, this one does take me back. I love it! Stop in & read The Boob Tube