*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Shell Collector II

photo courtesy of Magpie Tales
 Empty of meat
You say you are a shell
No life within
But I see your fragile beauty

I know you are leaving
I see you grow smaller each day
You long to return to the sea 

When you are gone
What will I have of you?

Memories 
     are slippery things
Silvery minnows 
     that dart away
When you try to hold them in your hands

If a shell is all that you leave behind
Then I will treasure the shell


6 comments:

Christine said...

Both poems on the shell were fantastic, really liked, the memories are slippery things...it gave me images of me holding onto my parents things after they died, things that I treasured because it reminded me of them.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wow, this poem has an impact. Wonderfully written!

Brian Miller said...

yeah, sometimes...even if just a shell...

Katherine Krige said...

Treasure those memories, but toss the shell back into the sea. Find a new creature to love that isn't so slippery. The memories will last better... :)

Dasuntoucha said...

If a shell is all that you leave behind
Then I will treasure the shell
...

...dig these lines...touching piece of writing.

Kavita said...

Aww... that was soooo beautiful, my dear friend..and true to the core!!

Memories can be really tricky indeed... and sometimes, all we have to hold on to are just the shells... but we shall definitely cherish and preserve those, come what may!

xoxo