*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tempted

photo by lolamouse
The web of temptation has you ensnared
You say it is woven of beautiful thread
Enticed by the scent of her silky soft lair
She marks you as willing prey ripe for her bed

You didn't think she could have such an allure
You thought you were too smart and too strong to tempt
But she played you so well when she acted demure
You fell like the others; you were not exempt

Despite your regret, she still does captivate
As you're spun tight in lies, she goes in for the bite
You curse yourself for being seduced by her bait
You wish for escape, but it's too late, goodnight.

submitted for Poetry Jam, Temptation
One Shot Wednesday at One Shot Poetry

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh why do i feel like such a fly, on the wall...or web maybe...nicely spun...

Sean Vessey said...

Great poem. i feel the bite. sigh. It's like the story of my past loves :-)

steveroni said...

HA! Brian said, "Nicely spun!" LOLOL... and I am going to bed and dream of temptresses with six legs, and homes that hold together even in tornadoes.

Hey, six legs ain't so bad?--grin!
PEACE!

Reflections said...

Not much into spiders, yet this is quite the captivating piece. Love the depth and double meanings here.

M. A. S. said...

I'm sorry Mouse, I'm very afraid of spiders. That creepy picture is really messing my head up.

Dave King said...

Lovely image - it captivated me - and verse to match. The thought-line and structure most impressive.

Scarlet said...

Lovely poem... i love the creative spun to it

Happy day~

nene said...

Love your creativity. Nice web

JustRex said...

Oh yeah. Those bite marks. You'd think because I consider myself intelligent I would know better. I could show you the scars, though. Foolish.

Maude Lynn said...

That first stanza pulled me right in!

Margaret said...

LOL! I chose a woman as my theme as well... a scorned woman. This was very, very nice. Beware, yes? :)

The Bug said...

This is an old old story. Well told!

Laurie Kolp said...

Hard to resist that temptation! Great piece.

Jinksy said...

A web of deceit?♥

Anna :o] said...

Lovely description of temptation - we all trapped in that web at times?

Anna :o]

Rinkly Rimes said...

I love the 'Goodnight' on the end. It says it all.

NanU said...

oh, dear. that's frightening and I don't even know what I'm being seduced by! Sounds worth the trip, regardless.