*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Aubade (Morning Song)

source
 I can't live up to the expectations of the morning
The day's beginning stares up at me
like an excited puppy waiting for his walk
No matter how much I try to do
it never seems enough and
I always disappoint
Much better
to sleep through this ever demanding time
and wake when it's less daunting
with the slackers
alcoholics
and unemployed
all those less promising folks
rising on the edges of the earth
It is here that I shine like a sun.

10 comments:

Scarlet said...

I like the poignancy and sadness of your poetry form.. specially sleeping thru its demanding time...I can identify with this.

Happy Holidays ~

Mary said...

Ah, Lolamouse, I hear you. A person is either a morning person or he/she is not. There are other times of the day / night to shine.

Bryan White said...

Snooze Bar!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Brian Miller said...

i think this is a feeling that resonates with many that i know...i like the night...i do like greeting the sun i the night is when i usually come alive...

JustRex said...

The morning is too demanding. Too full of itself and smug.

You've described it to a tee, as always. Perfect!

Marian said...

hah, waking with the slackers. i think not so much, i mean, not so much slacking. good morning!

vivinfrance said...

I used to be a morning person, evolved into a night person, and latterly into a sleeping too much of the time person. So I understand very well where you are coming from.

nene said...

'...the slackers, the alcoholics, the unemployed...', you just identified my prosthetic hips and back,my choice of catharsis and my situation. You would lQQk great standing next to me.

Feliz Navidad!

Kerry O'Connor said...

That opening line blew me away, and how well each line lead to the conclusion. You have captured a very tired spirit here, one whose self-confidence is at an all time low.

Pat Tillett said...

Nice!
I remember not EVER wanting to get out of bed, because then I'd know what crap my life was. I'm so very happy that feeling is gone. For me, this poem hit that feeling I had, right on the head. I was clearly one of those "less promising" folks, or at least thought I was.
Thank goodness for therapy!!!