*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Trying To Be Koi

Another attempt at painting. This time it was acrylics. I loved the buttery feel of doing the blue background, and the green lily pads seemed to go smoothy, but I had fits with the fish! The orange (I mixed red and yellow paint) was totally transparent on the background (I thought acrylics were opaque-guess not!) and when I added gel medium to thicken it, it was like working with peanut butter! My poor koi were gloppy and I was not happy with them. So I went back to an old standby stamping technique--embossing--and covered those babies with gold embossing. Not great, but I can live with them now. I think my craft room (and my lungs) are filled with some sort of toxic fumes now, though. That acrylic paint made a really nasty smell when heated with an embossing gun! Tips for future projects any of you art people out there?

6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

go get some fresh air first...

smiles, your painting is cute...i guess any tips i would give would be based on the style you are going for...for realism i would look at some texturing, shading and such...i might thin the outlines or give some variance there...

but i like you painting...

Crayotic Ramblings said...

The opacity varies depending on the color. It should be on the packaging. If you are using Blick acrylics it says on the tube whether it is transparent, opaque, or semi-opaque.

Gel medium is used to change the consistency - the flow - of the paint - not the opacity. It just makes it thicker - or - depending on the type of gel medium - it changes the finish. (Matte, gloss, etc.) It does not change the opacity, though.

As far as the embossing gun, acrylic is plastic, so yeah, if you start melting plastic, it is gonna stink to high heaven...

Hope this helps some. You can always give me a shout, too.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

OK, I'll be the instigator or word play. Come on, Lola, let's not be 'coy' about your talents :)

Fireblossom said...

I LIKE your fish, they're adorable!

Pat Tillett said...

I think they are great! A very cute and unusual take on Koi!

not displayed said...

I love it. And I have my own fits using orange.

All I can suggest is play. Thats what I do.