*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Girl Who Loved Winter Sleeps

image by Rosie Hardy, self-portrait
The girl who loved winter
knew warmth
Kissed by a dream
Morpheus seduced
She slept

Snowflakes fell
like sand in her eyes
The wind rocked her
in its icy arms
and sang to her a haunting lullaby

She slept
a deep and primal sleep
A she-bear in her cave
Embraced by long black hair
A blanket of herself
thick and sweet-smelling

The girl who loved winter
cossetted by the cold
felt warm
The winter sheltered her 
like a puppy wrapped in an eiderdown quilt
A small beating heart
within the vast whiteness.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Sunday Mini Challenge, First and Last Lines (in which we are to take a last line from a previous poem and make it the first line of a new one.  I used two last lines: The Girl Who Loves Winter III and The Longing and made them my first three lines of this one.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Lovely: "A blanket of herself"
She is the sleeping, she is the snow! Reading this I felt seduced and ready to rest, but also challenged to a riddle that I choose not to solve, expecting the woman to awake in Spring, wrapping snow and putting it in the hope chest for the right season, in the hope chest only--not in her heart.

Marianne said...

I too liked "a blanket of herself." But instead of hair, it's just my winter girth. Nicely done.

Brian Miller said...

A blanket of herself
thick and sweet-smelling...these lines captured me...there is a bit of magic in your words...and i love how winter loves her back...

not displayed said...

Beautiful

Mary said...

This is beautiful. Despite the cold of winter, your words make me feel warm. I love 'a small beating heart within the vast whiteness.'

Fireblossom said...

Stop spying on me at night!

I love:

" A blanket of herself thick and sweet-smelling"

and

" A small beating heart within the vast whiteness."

Hannah said...

Ooo...this is excellent!! You capture such a tone with all this white and sleep and the last beat in the poem is such an awesome contrast!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oooh! I love the stanza describing the she-bear in the cave, wrapped in her own black hair. Gorgeous read, fulfilling in every way.

Pat Tillett said...

Great poem and I LOVE the blanket line a lot!