*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dear Mother

source
I know this was not in your plan
and I know that it's not what you hoped
but I met the most interesting man
and I must tell you that we've eloped!

I never had met him before
I saw him; my heart skipped a beat
Felt passion clear down to my core
He swept me right off of my feet!

He spoke to me nary a sound
but his feelings were easy to see
With a courtyard of people around
I knew he had his eye on me!

In dress he leans toward the eccentric
His hair often in disarray
but his nails are quite sharply authentic
for opening letters and prey.

He may come off as slightly gruff
and lacking in manners and tact
but to me, he's a prince in the rough
The beauty contained in the act.

So mother, please do say a prayer
for your daughter who's now a new wife
I've left for his underground lair
to begin my fantastical life!


inspired by the movie clip from Holy Motors

14 comments:

hedgewitch said...

Really neat, LM--taking the Beauty's point of view--and so often it does work this way--there is something about claiming, about total possession that truly is seductive..esp liked the line'..the beauty contained in the act...'

Maude Lynn said...

This is awesome! I loved that same line that Hedge quoted.

Helen said...

This is fantastical!!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ahhh! How marvelously you have captured the beauty and the beast aspect of this clip but with your own twist the letter to mother from daughter. Very clever and very much enjoyed.
If I were to pick out one line it would be:

The beauty contained in the act.

Marian said...

love this!

Kay L. Davies said...

A letter guaranteed to scare a mother out of her wits. Brilliant, Ms Mouse.
K

Maggie Grace said...

This was so creative to take the beauty's perspective and see him as loving. Awesome!

Susan said...

Brilliant. Each stanza contains both her joy and a clue to future misery. She has doubts, but believes in the beauty that ....

Poetic Soul said...

This would be any mother's nightmare... I loved reading, beautiful piece

Fireblossom said...

Holey moley. The ultimate Is She Really Going Out With Him poem!

Hannah said...

I love that you chose to bring a humorous twist to this!! Very entertaining!

Pat Tillett said...

Humorous and whimsical!

Unknown said...

As a mom..ouch!! but loved your expression. Very clever and creative

not displayed said...

Wonderful fun. Loved it