*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Sylvia Knew

"Mushrooms" by Enola-Autumn
She never feared
darkness, moved freely
among shadows
Whispers
were her native tongue
She asked for little
and was rarely disappointed
She practiced
economy of emotion
Quiet
Thoughtful
Reserved
She was described as shy
This was not true
Sylvia knew
She was a mushroom
Watching
Waiting
Biding her time.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, FB Fridays, The Book Within the Story Within the Poem in which we were asked to compose a poem about a character somehow interacting with one of our favorite poems. I chose Sylvia Plath's "Mushrooms." When I was in junior high, I was very quiet in school. One summer, while at a writing camp, the teacher called me a "mushroom." I found the reference and loved it! I thought it conveyed a sort of quiet, subversive strength that others rarely recognized. The poem may be read at PoemHunter.com

10 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have always been struck by the layers of meaning in 'Mushrooms" and you have added another.. Sylvia herself as a mushroom, quietly, discreetly biding her time. Well, she certainly got her foot in the door, didn't she?

Scarlet said...

I love what you did here LM ~ She was indeed fearless with her words ~ I specially like the ending lines, watching, waiting, biding her time ~

Anonymous said...

I love Sylvia Plath!!! This is excellent, I want to frame it I love it so much =)

Helen said...

.. 'whispers were her native tongue' ~ depression and suicide would, in no way, reflect the genius that was her. Lovely poem, Mouse.

Lisa A. Williams said...

Sylvia Plath was a remarkable poet and this is such a wonderful tribute to her.

Kay L. Davies said...

Sylvia Plath!
Wow, Ms Mouse, Sylvia Plath had an unfortunate influence on poets my age, because we all thought we had to end dramatically.
Am glad now I didn't, because I get to be a Real Toad, and read fabulous poems like yours, and to realize her life and work accomplished far more than I ever imagined when I was young.
K

LaTonya Baldwin said...

Like where you went this.

Fireblossom said...

Yes, you've always struck me as being very shy and retiring, sticking to the shadows and not making so much as a peep. Just an agreeable, quiet, well-behaved person who takes instruction well and never makes waves.

*snork*

hedgewitch said...

'She asked for little
and was rarely disappointed..'
and also
'she practiced economy of emotion..'

great lines, and Plath is not my favorite poet, but she is at her subtle and subversive best in the poem you chose--I appreciate you turning me on to it. Enjoyed both much, LM.

(and laughin @ FB's comment)

Crayotic Ramblings said...

It is because of this poem - also about junior high-ish - that I made friends with mushrooms - I felt like I understood them - and perhaps they were one of few that understood me as well. You speak their - OUR - language perfectly.