*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Seventh Crow

Seven Crows by Merlyn-Gabriel


One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told.
 I am
the frenzied heartbeat
the whispered gossip you can almost hear
the gibbering beggar on your corner

I am
the madman in your basement
the lady with vulgarly smeared lipstick
the lunatic in your attic

I am
the eleventh toe
the devil in the details
the feather in your pillow that pokes your dreams

I am
the frayed wire
the kink in the system
the unaverted catastrophe

I am
the sinkhole of irrationality into which you slide
bit by bit
180 degrees from okay.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Get Listed with FB

7 comments:

BB said...

How do you come up with these? Fantastic.

Brian Miller said...

ha. i love the directness in this...and some very original imagery...the madman in the basement and the lipstick smeared woman...ha, def a fav stanza...haunting...secrets can def be like that...

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

wonderfully creative, mi amiga.

agree with Brian...the madman im the basement...the lipstick smeared woman. wonderful picturesque imagery

gracias

Fireblossom said...

Wowww. A plunge into madness. I love the feather part. That's how it starts....

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Forgive the profanity: fuck, that was good! You're an inspiration, lady!

not displayed said...

This was awesome. Loved it

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm so glad I went back to this challenge - this is an awesome response to the prompt, LM. I love the almost nursery counting song approach you took with it.

My favourite is the 'feather in your pillow that pokes your dreams'.