*

*
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash. Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Where the Softness Resides

I heard your words and
gained courage to speak
Your words
wrapped around me
like a warm, hand knit blanket
The ice began to melt from my fingers
and my heart

Your words showed me
how disappointment and failure
can be beautiful
How confusion and fear
are worthy of love
I keep that blanket
near me always
in case I should ever forget

The edges of that blanket
are most loved
Rubbed threadbare
Chewed on
Warn and frayed
These are the most comforting
It's where the softness resides.

submitted for Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Tuesday Platform



12 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so beautiful... I hardly have any words to describe how perfect it is! My favorite lines are:

I heard your words and
gained courage to speak
Your words
wrapped around me
like a warm, hand knit blanket
The ice began to melt from my fingers
and my heart

Its so true.. the words you speak to someone can really make a difference!

Lots of love
Sanaa

Jinksy said...

I can only hope the many woolly blankets I've crocheted have carried as much comfort to others...

Gail said...

Beautiful. I think we all need a blanket like this.

Vandana Sharma said...

Someone to hold on to and someone to care for..............all that is required to survive.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

This is so beautiful and vulnerable. I love this.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a comforting comparison!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Few things are as precious or comforting as those we are given in hopes for soothing... or just because. We never forget why they are there, or why we got them... or at least, we shouldn't..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Beautifully expressed....comfort....."where the softness resides." Love the vision of that worn blanket.

Anonymous said...

I love how you use the image of a well loved blanket to carry the poem from warming one's body to comforting another on a more profound level.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the blanket metaphor.

brudberg said...

The softness and realisation of tenderness is just beautiful.

Helena said...

Charming and soul stirring words! Love this one!

I still have my son's safety blanket - all frayed and juice stained. I've not the heart to put it in the wash. He's 21 now!